Adjunct Faculty — Narrative 2June 18, 2022 2023-03-13 9:20
Adjunct Faculty — Narrative 2
Adjunct Faculty Pool— Biblical Studies (Hebrew Bible or New Testament)
1.5-3 credit hours
Compensation is $1,000 per credit hour
TEACHING WITH PILLAR SEMINARY
Pillar Seminary is a digital seminary; as such, all classes are taught online. We employ the flipped-classroom teaching model (see it explained well here), which is designed to bring about not only content mastery, but skill transfer. This leaves live class time for hands-on active learning together with your students, which turns the professor into more of a coach or mentor than a lecturer. As an Adjunct professor for this course, all the content (lectures, reading, assignments) will be provided for you. Your job will be to guide the students as they process the content, which is demonstrated as you coach them through the biblical text during your class time. Successful applicants will receive adequate coaching in our approach to ensure the student experience is of the highest quality. We use Google Classroom for our course materials, and Zoom for our class time together, so the applicant must be comfortable with this software, or willing to be taught (Pillar account access will be provided for all software).
See the most recent edition of the Seminary’s academic catalog for relevant course descriptions.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Extensive knowledge and experience of biblical studies corresponding to the particular course.
- Communication skills (interpersonal, written word, email)
- Working knowledge of Google Suite of products (Docs, Sheets, Drive, Classroom, Sites, etc.)
- Working knowledge of Zoom software
- Prepare for class time by working through the course materials
- Guide students through the relevant biblical passages and genre particularities during class time
- Grade assignments and assign grades at the end of the semester
- Provide prompt and courteous interaction with students as needed
- Occasional meetings with Academic Dean and other faculty members
- Terminal degree in field of study required (ABD candidates will also be considered)
- Active, growing relationship with Jesus Christ
- Active participation in a local church
- Be in wholehearted agreement with Pillar’s Statement of Faith (the Apostles’ Creed)
- Be in wholehearted agreement with Pillar’s mission and values
- Teaching experience in requisite field of study (Seminary experience preferred)
- Must work well with others on a team
- Must be able to engage others in a courteous and professional manner
- This is a remote position. Must be able to provide your own computer and workspace sufficient to see the demands of the job can be met. An institutional email account will be provided.
- Must be able to provide your own phone for work use purposes.
- Works with: Academic Dean, Faculty members
- Reports to: Academic Dean
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Lifting up to 20 pounds is an occasional but essential requirement. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee may be asked to bend and kneel. Vision (with or without accommodations) is required to correctly identify color, clarity, contrast, and depth perception.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. Pillar Seminary is a religious organization and reserves the right to discriminate based on the basis of religion.