International Student AssistantAugust 27, 2022 2022-08-27 14:22
International Student Assistant
International Student Assistant
FTE 0.25 Volunteer (approx. 10 hrs/wk)
Work-study (10 hrs/wk @$12.50/hr = $2,500/semester)
This person will work closely with the Director of Student Services to prepare international students for their studies at Pillar, as well as to provide ongoing support throughout their studies. This position will ensure, as much as possible, that international students at Pillar move into and through their studies smoothly. This is a remote position, and can be done from anywhere (provided the time zone differences don’t prohibit regular workday interactions in a primarily North American context). Note as well that this position will require some flexibility with hours to work across many different time zones all around the world.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Familiarity with Pillar culture
- Highly relational with good coaching skills
- Organization skills (database management)
- Communication skills (interpersonal, written word, email, phone calls)
- Working knowledge of Google Suite of products (Docs, sheets, drive, classroom, sites, etc.
- Working knowledge of Zoom software
- Helping international students through the paperwork of the matriculation process
- Helping students set up and work with their Pillar Seminary email, Slack, Zoom, and Google Classroom accounts
- Regularly checking back in on students throughout the semester to see to their wellbeing and to ensure they are able to keep up with course load demands
- Liaise with the Director of Student Services on all relevant matters
- Other duties as assigned
REQUIREMENTS FOR VOLUNTEERS & EMPLOYEES
- Be in wholehearted agreement with Pillar’s Statement of Faith (the Apostles’ Creed)
- Be in wholehearted agreement with Pillar’s mission and values
- Must work well with others on a team
- Must be able to engage others in a courteous and professional manner
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS OR PREFERENCES
- College degree preferred
- Pillar Seminary student beyond the first semester
OTHER REQUIREMENTS OR PREFERENCES
- Active, growing relationship with Jesus Christ
- Active participation in a local church
- This is a remote position. Must be able to provide your own computer and workspace sufficient to see the demands of the job can be met. An institutional email account will be provided.
- Must be able to provide your own phone for work use purposes.
- Works with: Director of Student Services
- Reports to: Director of Student Services
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Lifting up to 20 pounds is an occasional but essential requirement. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee may be asked to bend and kneel. Vision (with or without accommodations) is required to correctly identify color, clarity, contrast, and depth perception.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. Pillar Seminary is a religious organization and reserves the right to discriminate based on the basis of religion.